Why is the Montenegro CBI program different from the others and why is it so important now for international investors?
Montenegro is in a special position at the moment, as the EU accession is expected to happen in 2025. Montenegro recognised its opportunity to accelerate its economic development by attracting investments with a citizenship program for up to 2,000 foreigners. The passport of the NATO member Montenegro allows its citizens to travel to 121 different countries without a visa. Investors are aware that the net cost of obtaining citizenship in Montenegro is the lowest compared to other European programs.
What are the major advantages of Montenegrin citizenship?
- EU citizenship in the near future. Both Montenegro and the EU aims to have full EU membership in 2025.
- No requirement to live in the country. Unlike most citizenship programs in Europe, applicants are not obliged to live in Montenegro on a continual basis, not even for one day.
- It is fast to obtain. The application timeframe is only 3 months.
- Different investment options. Applicants can choose between investing €250,000 in a government-approved property project in the less developed parts of the country, or €450,000 in the developed southern region (the seaside) or in the capital city of Podgorica. The investments can be liquidated after five years.
- No requirement to know the Montenegrin language.
- No requirement to renounce your current citizenship.
- A favourable taxation regime. Montenegro offers one of the lowest personal income tax rates in Europe starting at 9% and one the best conditions for freely doing business in the EU – the corporate tax rate is only 9%.
- Ability to visit, visa-free, the countries of the Schengen zone as well as Bulgaria, Cyprus, Romania, Russia, Turkey, Hong Kong, and Singapore (121 countries total).
- Valid for life and can be passed to future generations
- After the EU accession, the freedom to live, work and study anywhere in the 28 EU member states.
Can I relocate my family to Europe if I use Montenegro CBI program?
Yes, you can also bring family members if you apply for citizenship by investment in Montenegro.
What are the eligibility criteria and the required investment to participate in the Program?
Non-EU citizens with clean background could apply by donating €100,000 to the government for the development of poor communities and investing either €250,000 or €450,000 in government approved projects.
How many times do I need to travel to Montenegro during the process?
You only have to travel once. At the end of the procedure for the biometrics scan and to get your passport.
How long does it take to acquire a Montenegrin passport?
Government review of the client’s application takes 3 months.
Do I need to live in Montenegro prior to obtaining the Montenegro Citizenship?
No. Unlike other citizenship programs in Europe, applicants are not obliged to live in Montenegro before or after the citizenship is granted.
Is the real estate investment limited to government approved projects, or am I able to invest in other real estate properties?
The Government of Montenegro wanted its CBI scheme to be fully transparent and with the highest possible integrity. For this reason, the investment can only be realised in government approved projects.
What are the advantages over other citizenship/residency programs in Europe, such as Cyprus, Malta, Portugal and Bulgaria?
So let’s take a look at the costs of other countries: Cyprus requires a property investment of €2,000,000 for a family of four. Malta requires a donation and additional charges costing around €1,000,000. Portugal offers only residence permits, and Bulgaria has closed its accelerated citizenship program.
What is the mandatory Investment term?
In Montenegro, real estate investment can be sold after five years.
We know that Montenegro has started negotiations to join the EU. In this case, obtaining Montenegrin citizenship will open the door to full European citizenship. When will that happen?
The target year for Montenegro’s accession to the European Union is 2025, allowing investors to obtain full EU citizenship in about five years. The government is very committed to transparency to achieve this goal.
What is worth knowing about Montenegro as a place for doing business?
Long regarded as the pearl of the Balkans, Montenegro has one of the fastest-growing economies in the Balkan Peninsula. Moreover, Montenegro is becoming fast a key destination for investors looking for mobility, security and a better quality of life. Apart from the country’s natural beauty and sophisticated culture, its independence and strategic geographical location in Europe, with direct access to the Adriatic Sea, make it an ideal choice for many industries.
Montenegro now offers a very efficient and productive environment for investors, including a flat corporate tax rate of 9%. The main strength of Montenegro’s economy is tourism, but other sectors have also contributed to a 4.8% increase in GDP last year.
What services do Discus offer? What is our unique feature?
Discus with Apex Capital Partners is among the only three official agents who received the government license to process applications for this new European programme.
With more than 20 years of experience in the business migration industry, Discus Holdings’ Immigration Advisers will walk you through the process every step of the way, giving you peace of mind that your application will be successful. With offices in Podgorica, we ensure that our clients receive a warm welcome in Montenegro. We provide independent opinion about the government approved investment projects that are worthy and secure investments and support our clients until citizenship is granted.